Wednesday, April 12, 2017


I had a nice sleep in the van and was feeling readied for new day.

I checked the beach at the campsite but it was very small. I drove to Hawks Nest but the surf there as also very small.

I drove over the Singing Bridge and had a cappuccino on the promenade at Tea Gardens. The promenade runs along the edge of the river with a grass area with tables and seats for about 1 kilometre. In the water there are a few large boats moored but not crammed and across from the promenade area are houses and boutique shops and cafes.

The wind was strong and predicted to get stronger but I decided on a kayak up the river.

I was paddling with the tide along a shore line of mangroves. In the centre of the river were a number of mangrove islands. There were a number of channels so I kept to the left side of the river. That worked out well, as eventually, it took me to a channel that veered to the left and I followed that for awhile. The vegetation started to change from mangroves to forest. I continued with the channel becoming more narrow until it was blocked by fallen trees.

I backtracked and once out of the shelter of the narrow channel I was pummeled by now extremely strong winds. The going was hard but the tide had reversed and was again in my favour. The outgoing tide, unfortunately, added to the height of the wind chop. It was fine going into the waves but going across ways the chop would often splash over the gunwales of the kayak and spray me with water.

 I was drenched a number of times but dried out whenever I paddled into the lee of the many islands.

An adventurous, wet and windy 11 km kayak with a lot of birds.

I drove back to Hawks Nest beach which was sheltered from the strong winds. The sun was shining so I sat on the sand, read some of my book and had a couple of swims in the ocean.

I was feeling good so I drove over to Winda Woopa in Hawks Nest and hiked around a number of the beaches that were there.

The beaches on the southern side were buffeted by strong winds accompanied by wind-biting sand. I had a quick look but no hiking. The northern end was less wind blown but the walk was more over sandy mangroves and oyster shells. At one point, I sank into the mud up to my knees. I was heavily stuck. I slowly pulled out my legs with my thongs still on and washed the stinking mud off.

I drove back to Banksia Green Camp and rested for awhile.

Later in the afternoon, I went for a hike to Dark Corner which was an Aboriginal site in the national park.

It was such a different hike being over a number of sand dunes with clumps of vegetation. Dark corner as a small headland with two long beaches running off either side of it. One side was wind blown and the other was sheltered.

It was an amazing experience hiking over open dunes with no track or footprints in sight.

Back to the camp for dinner and sleep

No comments:

Post a Comment


A relatively very cold winter in Australia. We had been waiting a long time for our next overseas trip and it always seems so far away but t...