Sunday, July 23, 2017

SULAWESI, BUNAKEN ISLAND - BOAT, SNORKEL AND TURTLES - 14 JULY 2017

I woke early and wander around the hotel grounds, down to the ocean and had a swim in the pool. All nice, still and quiet.




After breakfast, I was off in a boat for snorkeling. Jacinta hung around the pool. The first snorkel started off with a drop off with okay coral and fish. I had to cross an open area between two reefs. It was like an abyss below me with rays of sunlight adding to the disorientation. When the other reef started to come into view, two large turtles materialized in front of me - awesome.





The second snorkel started in awesome fashion with a sheer drop off wall in much clearer water. There were heaps of fish and okay coral. I drifted with the current for ages. After an hour, I looked up to find that the boat was not longer in sight. A bit of a worry but I figured they would find me when it was time to go. I saw about a 6 turtles this time. I got reasonably close to one but I had to dive pretty deep.


 (vague photo of turtle)



I rested for the afternoon.

Later, Jacinta and I had a few beers before dinner at the hotel bar which had a great view over the ocean to the mainland. We also listen to a local guy sing and play some local songs on his guitar. Nice.

Malaria tablet night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CENTRAL COAST - 4 TO 11 MARCH 2023

 4 MARCH I woke and unloaded and tidied the van. I drove Jacinta to the Hens party for Chloe at Glenworth Valley. Back home and I tidi...