Wednesday, October 24, 2018

MUNMORAH SCA - BEACH, FISH, DOLPHINS, MTB - 23 OCTOBER 2018

The day was predicted to be sunny.



I checked the surf at North Avoca and Wamberal but it was pretty small on a high tide.



I drove up to Pelican Beach, which had a few random okay small waves but noone was out.



Next stop, Soldiers Beach. The surf was small with a random okay wave but there as quite a few sups and mals out. Most of the time they were sitting/standing. I got a cappuccino and headed further north.

I stopped at Red Ochre Beach at Munmorah State Conservation Area and wandered down to the beach. The sun was shining warmly and the beach was near deserted. I sat don near the water's edge and gazed around, took photos and read. Amazingly, a pod of dolphins undulated past at about 20 metres from shore. They were following massive schools of fish. The fish were closer to shore and I could see them clearly on the face of some small waves as the wave reached its peak before breaking.







As I was lying on the beach a chill came over me and a fog bank had moved across the beach. I couldn't see the south end of the beach or Bird Island.



I left the beach and drove to the trail head of the Snapper Point Trail. I set up the mountain bike and had a ride along the trail. The trail as relatively short but there was a fun side track that meandered downhill through the thick bush. I followed until just before reaching a dense steep overgrown gully.







A great morning with a short sort-of-swim, dolphins, schools of fish in the waves, a rolling fog bank and a mountain bike ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CENTRAL COAST - 4 TO 11 MARCH 2023

 4 MARCH I woke and unloaded and tidied the van. I drove Jacinta to the Hens party for Chloe at Glenworth Valley. Back home and I tidi...