Friday, October 19, 2018

AVOCA LAGOON - BIRDS, SHALLOW WATER, BEACH - KAYAK - 16 OCTOBER 2018




The weather wasn't raining but the wind was a little strong. I decided on a kayak.

I parked at the end of Tramway Street and launched the kayak onto Avoca Lagoon.



The water level was very low as the council opens the lagoons to the sea when the water level is too high.




I followed the channel between the island towards the west and turned into a shallow channel to the north. The level of the water had forced a lot of the birds out into the open to forage for food. The vegetation was well back from the water. It made it easier to see the birds.






I continued around the island as the west arm of the lagoon was land bounded.

The wind was getting stronger. I paddled towards the sea opening. The water became clearer and the base of the lagoon changed from mud to sand. The opening as interesting to paddle around as there ere a lot of people playing with their dogs.



I beached the kayak and wandered around the beach. The surf was messy but pretty to watch.




Back on the water and I paddled back to the start.

An interesting kayak with shallow water and lots of birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CENTRAL COAST - 4 TO 11 MARCH 2023

 4 MARCH I woke and unloaded and tidied the van. I drove Jacinta to the Hens party for Chloe at Glenworth Valley. Back home and I tidi...