Monday, October 30, 2017

NORTH AVOCA SUNRISE - AVOCA LAGOON KAYAK - TERRIGAL HAVEN SNORKEL - 30 OCTOBER 2017


A surf check at North Avoca Beach was a bit disappointing wave wise but the sunrise was powerful and pretty.



I drove a short distance to Avoca Lagoon and had a short kayak.




The lagoon was reflective, serene and bird calls filled the senses. I sighted a number of birds - ducks, cormorants, herons, swallows, pelicans, swamp hens and plovers. The highlight of the birds as the young swallow that was roosting on a vertical branch surrounded by shallow water. The mother swallow would appear regularly and feed the young one while she was in flight. So pretty.



A short paddle later, I notice a flip type of movement in the base of the reeds on the edge of the shore. It was a large prawn. Surprisingly, it was out of the water and trying to blend with the reeds. If it wasn't for the movement earlier, I would never had seen it. It gradually and cautiously returned to the water.


Another short paddle, I saw a large eel entwined around a submerged branch. I was paddling a little fast at the time so by the time I stopped and turned around it had moved on.



I had a large hole in my kayak after my last paddle and at the end of this paddle there was only a small amount of water in the kayak. My repair job was successful for the time being.

I checked the surf again but there was little encouraging improvement.

I continued on to Terrigal Haven and had a snorkel in front of the rocks of the rockpool. The visibility was okay but there was a lot of sand movement so the underwater photos weren't successful. The grains of sand in the water distract the camera from focusing on the subject. I did manage to get a bit of videoing. The sand doesn't seem to cause problems with videoing. :)



While I was looking around, some guy in the water approached me. Now, when you are in the water looking at the bottom and someone unnoticed touches you to get your attention, you tend to nearly leap bodily out of the water. He told me there was a turtle in the water and if I see it would I call him. Perhaps, I thought.

The water was still a little chilly so I had a cappuccino, read a book and sat in the sun until my body warmth returned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CENTRAL COAST - 4 TO 11 MARCH 2023

 4 MARCH I woke and unloaded and tidied the van. I drove Jacinta to the Hens party for Chloe at Glenworth Valley. Back home and I tidi...