Sunday, September 13, 2020

NIGHTCAP NATIONAL PARK AND WHIAN WHIAN STATE CONSERVATION AREA - 2 to 4 SEPTEMBER 2020

 

NIGHTCAP NATIONAL PARK AND WHIAN WHIAN STATE CONSERVATION AREA

2 SEPTEMBER 2020

We left Lennox Head and stopped in Ballina for food supplies.

It took about an hour to reach Rummery Campground in Whian Whian SCA. We settled into our site and chatted with a few other campers.






After lunch, I had a bike ride along Mount Peates Rd. The road was closed but open for  bike and hiker usage. It was up, up and up from the camp area for about 45 minutes until I reached the top. There were a number of turnoffs along the way not indicated on the map. The ride back was an awesome fast downhill run back to the camp of about five minutes.



After dinner, we lit a campfire and had a few wines while watching the flames.

3 SEPTEMBER 2020.

A bit of a restless sleep.

After breakfast, we had a five kilometre return hike along the Boggy Creek track to Minyon Falls.

It was very pretty with deep dark pools of water and shallow rock cascades. There were many large tress but they were just babies compared to the huge remnant trunks of the past logging days. They were about several wildflowers in bloom along the way varying in colours from whites, to yellows to purples. A great walk.









After lunch, I had a mountain bike ride.

I rode out along the camp entrance road and turned right. After a short distance, I took a fire trail to the left – telephone road. It was up and up on this track with a big downhill on the other side. There were a number of turn offs and I chose one on the left which went down and down with curves and dense vegetation on either side. I kept taking turnoffs to the left hoping to make a full circle back to telephone road. These turn offs had some awesome ups and downs. I finally got back to telephone road but went the wrong way and ended on the other side of the park. It took me a number of goes down different trails but I eventually got back to camp. Such a fun ride!

We had an early dinner and settled back for an evening of wine and campfire and guitar.




4 SEPTEMBER 2020

After breakfast, we packed up and were back on the road to Hastings Point.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CENTRAL COAST - 4 TO 11 MARCH 2023

 4 MARCH I woke and unloaded and tidied the van. I drove Jacinta to the Hens party for Chloe at Glenworth Valley. Back home and I tidi...