Sunday, May 27, 2018

BLUE MOUNTAINS HIKE - LITHGOW - NEWNES MOUNTAIN BIKE - 22 MAY 2018

Last night was very cold and windy. The Cathedral Reserve Campsite was okay but the toilets were dirty.



I drove a short distance to the picnic area at the end of Waterfall Road, Mount Wilson for the start of the Waterfall Track.





The hike was very quiet with lots of large ferns and tree ferns. It was very green and shady. Unfortunately, there wasn't much water so the waterfall was falling. Still, it was a nice hike.



The next stop was Du Faurs Rocks Lookout.

I took a turn off The Avenue at Mount Wilson Fire Station along a dirt road. IT as a short drive and there were a number of parking places.







The lookout over the valley was pretty. I started along the sign posted track to Chinamans Hat and Pearsons Cave. An excellent hike along a rough track then down between the rocks and u-turning at the base and following the bottom of the huge cliffs. the cliffs over hanged the path by a long way. A bit eerie. The rock formations were great and there were good views. Not a boring hike.



I eventually started upwards and came to junction in the track. I followed the extra track to Pheasants Cave. This part of the hike was rougher involving some rock scrambling. Down and down I went into twilight of a pocket of rainforest. I reached the end and the ground was very soggy and slippery. A bit of a challenge to get around the cave (which was really an overhang).

Next stop was Wynnes Rocks Lookout. There was a nice view and it was very windy.


The next port of call was Lithgow. I had coffee at the Tinshed and then drove to the lookout at Hassans Wall.  The view as good but I came up here to check the mountain biking. The ride down looked fine but the grind back up the hill looked a little daunting so I passed on that one.

I filled up with petrol and drove to Newnes Campground. Such a great drive down a winding and steep road then along the valley floor surrounded by cliffs and then on to the dirt road to Wollemi NP.







After lunch and a rest, I had a mountain bike ride along the Wolgan River via the Ruins Industrial site and Petries Gully. It was an easy ride and it was great to use other muscles after so much hiking.







3 comments:

  1. Congratulation for the great post. Those who come to read your Information will find lots of helpful and informative tips. Wollemi Glow Worm Tunnel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Alexander. That was a fun trip though a little cold at night :)

      Delete
    2. SORRY should have said 'Micheal'

      Delete

CENTRAL COAST - 4 TO 11 MARCH 2023

 4 MARCH I woke and unloaded and tidied the van. I drove Jacinta to the Hens party for Chloe at Glenworth Valley. Back home and I tidi...