Friday, March 2, 2018


1 March 2018

A one night break at Stockton.

After an hour's driving, I realized that I forgot the paddle for the kayak. Luckily, Jacinta hadn't left for work so she took the paddle to Toukley where she was working and I drove back to pick it up.

At Stockton, I settled into the camping area then unloaded the bike for a ride around the area.

It was a fun 15 kilometre ride.

I cycle along the breakwall for some good views to the north and of the exit of the harbour at Newcastle. It was very different watching large ships coming and going being escorted by tugboats up close.

The next stop was a coffee at Lexie's. While I was drinking my coffee near the beach, I met Des, who was 92 years old. He had lots of good stories - WW2, stationed in New Guinea, fishing, his brother and coal mining. He was riding his bike around. A great inspiration - fit and sharp as a tack.

I continued on along a few ocean sandy tracks then I veered over towards the river and followed the cycle path to the Stockton sand spit nature reserve.

At the very end of the rough road, I met Dave, who was camping there with his dog. Dave and I talked about his trailer setup, fishing and doing things in life. A nice guy.

The Sandspit was a small saltmarsh but it was fun to cycle along the tracks and watch the bird wildlife.

I followed the cycle path along the river and back to Stockton.

After a rest, I wandered along the beach and had a swim and did my stretches and exercises.

The tide was now low and the sand as very firm so I got the bike down the beach and cycled along it. Nice.

I rested some more and headed into town for pizza.

Back at the camp, I kept hearing a very loud horn sound. It was coming from a massive cruise ship that was leaving the port.

2 March 2018

I woke to the sound of rain but it was short lived.

I walked the short distance to the breakwall and watched the sunrise. Very contrasting with the wall, clouds and shipping.

I wanted to have a kayak at Fullerton Cove but I couldn't find a decent place to launch so I decided to gradually make my way back home.

My first stop was Hams Beach but the surf was windblown so I had a kayak at Black Neds Bay at Swansea.

The bay was reasonably protected from the wind and I had a lot of fun paddling through the mangroves and over the clear water.

I stopped in at Catherine Hill Bay and found that it was quite protected from the wind. I had a fun surf on a sandbank to myself with good rights and an occasional left.

No comments:

Post a Comment


At Sydney again today with off and on showers. I had a short time frame to play so I headed over to Georges River National Park for a ka...