Sunday, March 25, 2018

PORT STEPHENS - 18 TO 20 MARCH 2018


18 march 2018

Packed the van for a trip north. I decided on spending some time at Port Stephens.


It was a very hot day and everywhere was crowded. Eventually, I got to a quieter area. and felt better. I stopped at a small bay near Boat Harbour and had some okay waves in a pretty bay.



After, I checked into a rustic camping area called .... I had a late lunch and a nap ... the sun was still belting down.




Late afternoon, I had a walk and swim around Birubi Beach. It was nice with rolling sand dunes as a backdrop and pools of water in the sand.





Back at camp, dinner and a hot sleep.

19 march 2018

A surf check in the morning but it was either too flat or blown out with an onshore wind. One mile beach looked pretty.


I had a hike to the top of Tomaree Headland. An easy path to follow with metal steps at the steepest sections. The view at the top was expansive - south across the beaches to Fingal Bay sandspit and north to a group of islands and Hawkes Nest.





Back at the van, I took a short stroll to Zenith Beach. I sat at the north end and gazed at the scenery of beach on a backdrop of old vegetation covered volcanoes.




Next, I had a snorkel at Fly Point - a very pretty spot. The water was a bit chilly and there were heaps of different types of fish.

I drove back to Tomaree Headland for a mountain bike ride along the coastal track to the south end of Fingal Bay. I took some turnoff tracks to see Wreck Beach and Box Beach - both were pretty with cliffed headlands at either end of the beach.







The track itself wasn't one I would recommend for riding being up and down with a loose surfaces in parts that my tyres wouldn't grip onto on the uphill and irregular sections of deep sand.

After the ride, I headed back to Fly Point for another snorkel but the tide was too low and the tidal rip was very strong about 10 metres from shore. I settled for a swim and wander along the beach west of it.



The water as cool and clear. I met and chatted with an American mother/daughter - Mimi and Taylor, who were doing an Aussie tour. Both nice people.




Back at camp - snack, shower, dinner and sleep.

20 march 2018

A fun bike ride around the track at Fennington Island.






The track was sandy in parts and skirty the edge of the water and the wetlands. It was sandy in parts. it would have been better to start from the top of the hill on the road leading out of the camp area on the left.


Next, a surf check.

The wind was strong but One Mile Beach was protected. Unfortunately, the swell was too small.

Next, I drove to the top of Gan Gan Lookout to admire the view.






I drove on to Fly Point for another snorkel at high tide.





There were heaps of fish and underwater plants. The water was clear with good visibility in the sheltered corner.


I had lunch and rested in the back of the van.

The weather was getting worse with a prediction of stronger winds and heavy rain to come.

I decided to head home via Catherine Hill Bay. The surf there was too small so I continued onwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CENTRAL COAST - 4 TO 11 MARCH 2023

 4 MARCH I woke and unloaded and tidied the van. I drove Jacinta to the Hens party for Chloe at Glenworth Valley. Back home and I tidi...