Wednesday, October 26, 2016

STRICKLAND STATE FOREST - NEW AND STONEY CREEK TRAILS HIKE - 25 OCTOBER 2016

I parked at the top carpark (Banksia) at Strickland State Forest.


My plan was to hike the new trail and return via the Stoney creek trail.


The new trail - can't find a name for it and it isn't sign posted - was so good. The main feature being the rainforest.


I started off walking on a well groom track past blooms of wildflowers. One type of wildflower seemed to dominate for awhile then around the corner was a different species. Pretty.


The track crossed a bridge and became a rainforest. Shade, moss and silence dominated now. I took a short turn off that lead to a cliff of moss covered boulders and trickling water. The silence was screaming.


Back on the track, I passed a number of creeks and mossy rocks and ferns. It was so serene walking and hearing only the stepping crunch of my boots and the occasional bird call. Now and again, a bird would appear briefly and flitter away on noticing my presence.


The track, crossed a wider boulder strewn creek and after a short distance, I was on the Stoney Creek trail.


This track ascend beside the creek and towards the end it veered off steeply and finished at the Banksia carpark.


This walk could be easily extended on to four other tracks.

I'm not to sure of the distance I covered as the thickness of the forest blocked my GPS signal but at a guess I would say 3 to 4 kilometres.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CENTRAL COAST - 4 TO 11 MARCH 2023

 4 MARCH I woke and unloaded and tidied the van. I drove Jacinta to the Hens party for Chloe at Glenworth Valley. Back home and I tidi...