Thursday, August 6, 2009

Indonesia - Lombok - Snorkeling

Most places where you can snorkel there will be a place nearby to hire gear. Personally, I take my own gear for two reasons. One it is more hygienic and two, the gear I take will not have any leaking or fitting problems.

Advice for snorkeling with young kids

When my kids were this age we took body boards which I attached to my leg and the girls floated on board while I pulled them around. This way I got to snorkel off boats, near shore etc and felt okay. My youngest had difficulty with a snorkel so she used swimming goggles. The limitation is that I couldn't dive under unless I detached them.

Kuta, Lombok

Many areas with clear water, sand, coral, fish – visibility very good.

Gili islands, Lombok

All islands are excellent – close to shore with steep drops – sharks, fish, coral, turtles, rocks – many great spots – drift with the currents - hire a boat to snorkel around islands or take a tour.

Problems with indo snorkeling

In all these places it can be ‘bad’ due to:

Changes in visibility
Strong currents
Stinging jellyfish
Biting sea lice
Sea urchins
Tidal changes
Poor hired gear

One year in the Gili trawangan, there were sea lice that made it a misery to swim or snorkel and the welts afterwards become very itchy.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

CENTRAL COAST - 4 TO 11 MARCH 2023

 4 MARCH I woke and unloaded and tidied the van. I drove Jacinta to the Hens party for Chloe at Glenworth Valley. Back home and I tidi...