Saturday, May 4, 2019

ARMIDALE AREA - HIKES, MOUNTAIN BIKE AND BIRDS - 26 APRIL TO 1 MAY

26 APRIL

Packed the van and off to Armidale with Kara. Kara is attending a course at UNE.

It was a long drive due to the steepness of the road in parts. Still, it was a pretty drive.

At Armidale, Kara settled into her room then we did a tour of the university. Later, we had KFC for dinner then I drove Kara back to the uni and I then I drove to Wollomombi Falls Campground.

It was dark so I quickly settled in and lit a fire. A couple of beers, a curious possum and a campfire to end the day.



27 APRIL

It was a cold night and I woke to a cold morning. A short drive to Edgar Falls.




The picnic area was next for the start of the Wollomombi Falls hike. It was a pleasant easy hike with kangaroos, a rabbit, a deep steep gorge, a dry rocky riverbed with small pools of water, a waterless waterfall and awesome views. The vegetation were small trees with a light ground cover.






Back at the picnic area, I had a short rest then I hiked along the Chandler View Track. This track lead along the edge of the gorge then wound steeply down to a point promontory. The views of the mountains and gorge were spectacular with a breathtakingly steep drop off.





Next stop was Wollomombi village. I had coffee in a rustic cafe/general store.




The day was still young as I drove to Barokee Campground in Cathedral Rocks National Park. I set up camp then hiked the Cathedral Rocks Loop and Summit tracks. An awesome and longish hike along an easy track until the last part of the summit track. The last part involved scrambling over and under boulders and holding onto a heavy chain to climb the last boulder just before the relatively flat summit. The view was great over the surrounding area. Feeling like the king of the mountain balanced on the highest stone.







I arrived back at camp tired and a bit sore.  Time for campfire, dinner and rest.



28 APRIL

A absolutely freezing night. Brr. I called Kara who wasn't well so after breakfast, it was a beeline back to Armidale.

We sorted out the problem and I dropped her at her lectures.

I decided to camp at the showground at Armidale so that I was closer for Kara.

I drove to Bakers Falls next but there was no water but the view was nice.




I had a sleep as i didn't sleep too much due to the cold. When I woke, I felt much better and drove to Piney Forest for the mountain bike tracks of Armidale.

The tracks were groomed and graded clearly. It was heaps of fun and I even did a few black runs.



After the ride, I picked up Kara and we had watched the ducks and correllas in the city park. Later, we had a great dinner at an Indian restaurant.




29 APRIL

Another cold night sleep. I had the best hot shower ever at a camping area. The water took awhile to warm up but when it did it was perfect.

I had a coffee at Parklands Cafe in Armidale on the outside terrace. Nice coffee and view. After that, I pick up Kara and dropped her at her lectures.

I drove to Long Point in the Oxley Rivers NP. The picnic and camping area were laid out well in the landscape. I decided that a mountain bike ride on the Cassinia and Chandler View Circuit tracks might be good. Well. it turned out to be a pretty awesome and long ride - long downhills, cliff edged, panoramic gorge and mountain views and various types of vegetation.





On the way back, I stopped at Hillgrove. An historic village but not really much remaining that was historic.




Back at Armidale, I had another rid eat the Piney MTB tracks . It was fun though I was a little tired and kept making mistakes.

I picked up Kara and we looked at the birds in the park and had dinner.





30 APRIL

A warmish sleep at last!

I picked up Kara and we had coffee at Parklands Cafe and then I dropped her at her lectures.

I drove to Dangar Falls in the Oxley Wild Rivers NP but there was no water to fall. I had another mountain bike ride along the various tracks to a number of lookouts - great views, fun ride, sheer cliffs beside the tracks, rough rocky terrain with tree roots, long downhills, kangaroos and birds.





I stopped at a lone but outstanding war monument on the crossroads back to Armidale. Always very moving emotionally.




Back at UNE to pick up Kara. She finished earlier so we decided to look at birdy places. First stop was Mother of Ducks Lagoon but there was no water and no ducks. Next was Dumarsq Dam. It was a bit over used, had water and a number of birds.




We had dinner in dinner in town afterwards,

1 MAY

I picked up Kara from UNE for the journey home. It was a long drive but we stopped at a number of places along the way for short stops to break up the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CENTRAL COAST - 4 TO 11 MARCH 2023

 4 MARCH I woke and unloaded and tidied the van. I drove Jacinta to the Hens party for Chloe at Glenworth Valley. Back home and I tidi...