Thursday, December 6, 2018

STINGRAYS, CATFISH AND TURTLE - 7 DECEMBER 2018

The surf wasn't encouraging this morning but a snorkel seemed worthwhile after sighting a turtle yesterday while swimming.




I waded out into the water on the Haven Beach and it was a bit chilly.

The visibility wasn't the best with a lot of sand particles obscuring vision. BUT it was a good sighting day. There were a lot of larger fish blending in with the sandy bottom but they skittered off very quickly from me.

After a short time, I spotted a small stingray. I followed it for awhile and three other small ones later. While I was following one of the smaller rays a very large ray suddenly swam directly under me. If I could jump I would have. Anyway, I followed the larger ray for a while but keeping my distance.




Later, I came across a large and small greenish catfish. They both undulated amongst the rocks slowly so they were easy to follow.



I was just about to finish when I spied a turtle. I very excited and followed it from above and below. Finally, it had enough of me and left me behind with a big smile.



It was such a great snorkel even though the visibility was poor. I was very cold though but warmed up with a coffee and a long sit in the sun.



A good morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CENTRAL COAST - 4 TO 11 MARCH 2023

 4 MARCH I woke and unloaded and tidied the van. I drove Jacinta to the Hens party for Chloe at Glenworth Valley. Back home and I tidi...