Tuesday, March 12, 2019

INDONESIA - MOROTAI - SOPI - 5 FEBRUARY TO 7 FEBRUARY 2019

I left D'olaha Resort for my journey to Sopi in the north of Morotai.

We drove along the east coast which amazingly pretty and stopped at a few places along the way for a brief look. Bido was very pretty and I met a few westerners who were working in a voluntary school.



Further along Berebere looked very scenic from the road above the town.

At Gorango Beach, we stopped and admired the beach and bay. At the entrance to the beach there was a sort of boom gate. The driver lifted the boom gate and it broke and fell on his head leaving him with massive cuts. It was dazed, we rested for awhile and eventually he was okay to move on.







The road deteriorated after this point at several river crossings. The crossings were over temporary and dubiously made bridges. One crossing was by raft but the driver just ploughed through the water which came up to half the height to the car window. It was too late to say anything but he made it. A stupid thing for him to do considering there was a safer way to cross.

The drive took about 3 to 4 hours and finally,  we pulled into Sopi.

Sopi is a small village in the north of Morotai. 




My homestay was a house with a number of rooms. The room was clean and airy and the food was clean and tasty. The surf wasn't that good.
On the first day, there was an okay wave on the beach and the locals were riding the waves on polished surfboard shape slabs of wood. It worked for them. Some were even standing and cutting across the face of the wave. 




The following days were dismal for rideable surf. Putting the surf aside, it was a good place to explore. The main beach was greyish sand but a 20 minute walk out of town and I was on my own on a long white sand palm fringed beach. The water was clear and clean there with hermit crabs scurrying everywhere.




The people in the village were friendly. Most people said hello and had time for a bit of a chat. In English? Nope! The kids were over enthusiastic with their 'hello mister'. One kid said it to me nearly 100 times as I meandered along the beach. It was okay as I answered back about 100 times.




It rained off and on but it was easy to find shelter on someone's veranda. They seemed to be amused by me standing their in the front shelter of their home.
I walked heaps along the beaches and tracks that criss-crossed here and there leading nowhere in particular. 
Oddly, there was an ATM in the town. I didn't use it and I saw no one else use it either. 
By the way, I was the only bule (white tourist) there. I asked the owner of the guesthouse about this and I was informed that the last guest they had was in December.








It was a beautiful place with polite and friendly people on a backdrop of steep hills and lush vegetation. Loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

CENTRAL COAST - 4 TO 11 MARCH 2023

 4 MARCH I woke and unloaded and tidied the van. I drove Jacinta to the Hens party for Chloe at Glenworth Valley. Back home and I tidi...