Saturday, November 25, 2017


22 November 2017

A surf check of North Avoca Beach and Wamberal Beach were not very inspiring despite being very little wind.

I drove to the Haven, had an ocean swim, a coffee, a read and a sit in the early morning sun.

Back at home, and a group decision lead to an outting at Avoca Lagoon for some kayaking. It was Mr Archibald's first attempt at kayaking. He didn't settle to well with myself but was fine with Kara.
We had a fun time paddling the kayak around, posing for photos and being silly. We saw some kangaroos playing in the water on the small island.

It ended with a big feed from the fish and chip shop when we got back home.

23 November 2017

A surf check at North Avoca - tide too low so back later.

I drove to Bouddi NP and parked at the top of Wards Hill and rode the tracks off Maitland Bay Road.
The tracks were fun curving here, there and everywhere with some hard sections. The return ride was easier as I was able to go the steeper rocky sections.

There were a few points where the view lookout north across the Broadwater and Brisbane Water. There was a track at the base of the escarpment which I'll try hiking along on another day.

At one steep and rocky section, I got off my bike to walk it but tripped over a tree root, fell on a log, rolled over the log and into the bracken fern. Luckily, I landed where I corked my thigh on a ride a few days ago ... nah, it hurt. Anyway, I escaped with three series of scrape marks and a cut on my left leg.

I checked Copacabana Beach next. the conditions were nice but the waves were breaking only a few metres from shore.

I drove back to North Avoca and had a fun and small surf. The waves were okay and I had fun using the gopro5 as well. The videos were okay but I need to use different settings for surfing photographs.
Back home to tidying, mulching and mowing the yard.

24 November 2017

I checked the waves at North Avoca but it was too small and crumbly.

I call Paul to meet up for coffee at the Haven. I had a bit of time to spare so I went for a snorkel around the rock pool.

As soon as I was in the water, I saw a stingray. The water visibility was okay but still a little murky.
Next, there were a lot of different fish, another stingray and a Wobbegone shark. The shark was over a metre in length. I followed it for awhile and enjoyed watching it flowing low over the rocks and seaweed and in between crevices.

Wobbegong is the common name given to the 12 species of carpet sharks in the family Orectolobidae. The word wobbegong is believed to come from an Australian Aboriginal language meaning "shaggy beard", referring to the growths around the mouth of the shark of the western Pacific.

Wobbegongs are bottom-dwelling sharks, so they spend much of their time resting on the sea floor. Wobbegongs are well camouflaged with a symmetrical pattern of bold markings which resembles a carpet. The camouflage is improved by the presence of small weed-like whisker lobes  surrounding the wobbegong's jaw, which help to camouflage it and act as sensory barbs. Wobbegongs make use of their relative invisibility to hide among rocks and catch smaller fish which swim too close.
Wobbegongs are generally not dangerous to humans. However, they have bitten people who accidentally stepped on them in shallow water or underwater divers who have poked or touched them. Unprovoked, they may also bite those who swim near their hiding spots. Wobbegongs are very flexible and can easily bite a hand holding onto their tail.

They have many small but sharp teeth and their bite can be severe, even through a wetsuit; having once bitten, they have been known to hang on and can be very difficult to remove.

After the snorkel, I meet up with Paul and Chris for coffee at the Cove Cafe.

Next, I headed over to Avoca Point to join up with a number of old friends whom I went to school with, surfed with or lived in the area I grew up in. Ray arranges the get together and it is always a lot of laughs chatting about past, present and future.

Finally, I was back home and then took Kara and Mr Archibald down to the Haven Beach. By the time we left, I was feeling a bit sun-out-of-it.

Later, Jacinta and I had a few drinks and dinner at the Beery at Terrigal and listened to a pleasant two man band.

No comments:

Post a Comment


At Sydney again today with off and on showers. I had a short time frame to play so I headed over to Georges River National Park for a ka...