Saturday, March 4, 2023

ILUKA - 23 TO 26 FEBRUARY 2023

 23 FEBRUARY

The clouds on the drive to Iluka from Lennox Head were gradually, getting darker. Eventually, it poured. On the Iluka Road, we stopped at Sharky Bay for a brief look at the beach. On the exit road, there was a large carpet snake on it.


We continued to Iluka and the camping area. The rain bucketed down as we arrived and settled into our camp site. Later, the rain finished and there was partial sunshine. We took advantage of this and had a long bike ride out to the beaches and breakwater and back via the river pathways. A good ride.






24 FEBRUARY

During the night there was strong wind and rain. About 1am, I had to wind up the awning.

About mid-morning, we hiked the Iluka rainforest walk. A pleasant and easy walk on level ground. We could hear a lot of birds and saw a few but they were very quick. The walk finished at The Bluff Lookout. There were good views along the coastline. On the return we came across a large black lizard.









Later, in the afternoon, we cycled into the shopping area for food and the chemist.

25 FEBRUARY

A heavy bout of rain last night.

We woke to cooler temperatures and light winds. We drove over to the Esk River where I had a kayak. Along the way I saw small kingfishers and a few other small birds. I also paddled in Jackys Gully. It was a nice kayak passing large trees and water lilies. On the return, I spotted a large eagle.







I was tired on the return leg as the tide and wind were against me.

We stopped for coffee and cake then bought some fish for dinner.

Back at camp, we set up on a different site and then I had a relax in the camp pool/spa.

The temperature increased as the afternoon progressed.

26 FEBRUARY

We packed, checked the surf and drove to Bluff Beach for a swim and sun relax. On the point, it was teeming with birds roosting and preening. The water was crystal clear.



Our next stop was Maclean for food supplies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CENTRAL COAST - 4 TO 11 MARCH 2023

 4 MARCH I woke and unloaded and tidied the van. I drove Jacinta to the Hens party for Chloe at Glenworth Valley. Back home and I tidi...