Tuesday, February 15, 2022

TASMANIA - SPIRIT OF TASMANIA / ULVERSTONE - 13 TO 15 FEBRUARY 2022

 

13 FEBRUARY

SPIRIT OF TASMANIA

I had a pretty restless sleep. I dreamt I was on the high seas and rescuing people from my distant travelling past. A bit bizarre.

Not long after waking, we were back down to the van and disembarking onto Tasmania.

DEVONPORT, TASMANIA

Our first stop was groceries as you couldn’t bring fruit and vegetables into Tasmania.

After stocking up, we drove to a café for breakfast.

We decided to gradually head in the direction of the camp area as it was still early in the day.

Our first taste of Tasmania was MERSEY BLUFF. We walked around the basalt headland and down to the beach. The views were nice and I was pretty thrilled at doing some activity.





Next was COVES BEACH. The surf was about 1 foot in a strong onshore wind. Still, a nice beach.



ULVERSTONE

We drove to West Ulverston and our camp area – Blue Wren. A simple campground with very good showers. In front of the camp was a railway line and then a large rocky bay.

We organised the van and then I had a walk out to GOAT ISLAND as the tide was low. A train passed along the railway line as I was walking down. It was a very rocky walk to the island. The island consisted of two peaks. I walked around part of the island and through its interior. I found a small cave on the other side of the island that smelt of bat. I walked back through the interior and climbed one of the peaks. Such a good view. I rested there and thought about king of the mountain.







After a shower and dinner, Jacinta and I had a late afternoon walk along the rocky shore of the bay and its small intermittent beaches. The wind had dropped to nil.




14 FEBRUARY

ULVERSTONE

After breakfast, we drove to the PENGUIN MOUNTAIN BIKE PARK. I rode the green level with a little bit of a blue run. The ride started off uphill and into a long slightly downhill transverse and then a heap of fun downhill with nice berms. It ended with a leg aching uphill and down to the carpark. I did the circuit twice. The second run was better for me and I rode the berms the best I ever have - look where you want to go, follow the line and be confident.





At the promenade at PENGUIN, we had coffee and watched the small waves breaking. I wandered along the beach and Jacinta did some food shopping.






On the way back to camp we stopped to admire the view of the THREE SISTERS RESERVE (3 islands) which was very pretty.




The wind had dropped off today and was blowing lightly from the west. The waves had become very small. The coastline looked so pretty with farmhouses on one side of the road and a railway line on the other followed by the mainly rocky coastline.

Later, in the night, we stargazed.




15 FEBRUARY

An excellent day. no clouds and warm. Time to move on towards the mountains.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CENTRAL COAST - 4 TO 11 MARCH 2023

 4 MARCH I woke and unloaded and tidied the van. I drove Jacinta to the Hens party for Chloe at Glenworth Valley. Back home and I tidi...