Wednesday, December 2, 2020

HAWKS NEST - 20 TO 23 NOVEMBER 2020

 20 November

We were off for a road trip north.

We packed the van and left for our first destination – Hawks Nest.

Our first stop was the supermarket and a surf check. The surf was blown out so we drove to Jimmys Beach for camping. We were lucky as there was one vacancy. We settled in then walked down to Jimmys Beach.

The beach was a long stretch of white sand inside the bay at Port Stephens. I had a few swims in the calm and clear water.





Back to camp. There were a number of dingoes roaming around and heaps of screeching parrots.

21 November

I had an early walk along the sandy track to Jimmys Beach. The water wasn’t very inviting for a swim as the wind was strong and cool.

We packed and drove to Bennett’s Beach camping where we booked in for two nights. Before we settled in we drove to Tea gardens for a mid morning coffee and food.



After that, we drove to Bennett’s Beach where I had a ‘small and weak but still fun surf’. I got a bit sunburned as well.




We settled into our camp site, had lunch and a much needed sleep.

Later, I had a bike ride on three tracks through the bush. One of the tracks lead to the rear of Jimmys Beach camp.

Later, we met Jill and Joseph from Newcastle and had a few beers/wines.

22 November

I walked the short track to the beach. The waves were small, there was no wind and the water looked very glassy. I sat on the beach for awhile. Two pods of dolphins were appearing and disappearing in the distance.





Back at camp, we had breakfast and a late start to a kayak.

Jacinta had a hike along the beach at Windy Whoopa while I had a kayak around Corrie Island.

The kayak was longer than I thought it would be and I was pretty tired by the time I finished from the constant paddling. Highlights included:-










Stretches of long, untouched and bright, white sandy beaches.

Flocks of endangered shore nesting birds.

Clear and shallow water where I could see small sharks and stringrays darting away from my approach.

An island.

Mangroves to paddle around and through.

Strong currents.

Small waves from the ocean and passing speed boats.

 

23 November

We left Hawks Nest and drove to Gloucester Tops.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CENTRAL COAST - 4 TO 11 MARCH 2023

 4 MARCH I woke and unloaded and tidied the van. I drove Jacinta to the Hens party for Chloe at Glenworth Valley. Back home and I tidi...