Wednesday, July 17, 2019

BALIAN - BALI - BACK TO THE LIFESTYLE - 16 JULY 2019


BALIAN



10 JULY

We drove to Balian. Nyoman dad had had a heart attack a few days ago while working in the garden at D’Bise warung (a small village in the mountains of Bali). Luckily, Nyoman wasn’t working that day and was working in the garden as well.

We arrived at Balian and checked into our hotel ‘Gubug’.
Tank and Fiona from Tasmania were there. We chatted as the afternoon wind increased.

The surf was blown out so Jacinta and I had a walk on the beach.

Dinner was at Tekor restaurant.

11 JULY

I had an early surf and surfed like crap but I managed to stand up and do a few turns. I had been carrying a few injuries and hadn’t surfed for 4 months.

I met Kyle who was here with his three kids and wife. Nice positive guy.

Back in for breakfast with Jacinta and then another surf. This time I surfed heaps better – slow to stand, more turns and control.

We had coffee at Tekor and a long chat with Max and Jass from Kempsey. Max is a teacher’ assistant and Jass was a teacher.

Lunch was at Taverna restaurant. Later, we had a walk into town and back.

Much later, we had dinner at Tom’s Garden. We caught up with and joined Bran and Maureen for dinner. A nice couple who have lived in Bali for awhile and have leased apartments  in Sanur and Balian.

12 JULY

An early surf without booties. I surfed heaps better – getting up quicker, cutting back better and took a few critical takeoffs. Old Geoff was in the water.

Back in for breakfast with Jacinta, I met Lee from Lennox Head who is a friend of Mark and Mandy.

Out for another surf, I surfed okay but the increased wind was causing the waves to be a little bumpy and lose some form. Still, I had fun.

Dinner at Gubug with a great chat with Jass and a few drinks!

13 JULY

I had a slightly later surf with less crowd. I was surfing better - mainly getting sets and more critical waves but i stuffed up two good waves totally. Haha!

I had earlier met two American buys who had mountain biked from Jakarta to Bali – amazing! They left today for the last leg of their journey to Kuta.

At sunset, we had a pleasant walk along the beach – very pretty, chatted with Bryan and Maureen and met Paul and Iris. The sunset was nice sinking behind the headland and a bank of clouds.



Dinner was at Tekor – chatted with Tank and Fiona.

14 July

An early surf check but decided to wait till a bit later before hitting the waves.

Jacinta and I walked to the village and then down to Mejan Beach and back via Secret Bay. A great walk!







Breakfast and goodbyes to Kyle and family who were off to Ubud.

A fun surf but I fatigued after an hour and got a cramp in my foot. Haha! I paddled through several whitewashes then got the cramp and while bending the toe back, I got washed nearly in to shore. I took the hint and came in. It was my first go on my new surfboard. It went well and I had a few good sizeable lefts and rights.

A light cheese and apple spread for lunch in our room.

I rested and slept in the afternoon.

We went down to the beach before sunset and drank and ate at the Bamboo Warung. We chatted with Marty a long time expat of Balian.

15 JULY

A terrible sleep – back aching, legs throbbing and shoulders sore.

I did my stretches, had breakfast, more stretches and then a surf. The waves were good and I had a great time going left and right on the blue board.

Before the surf, I was going to use the Merrick surfboard  but I damaged the nose on the shore break. Very annoying but it is now in for repair.

I had a massage with Bella (100 000R) it was soft and reasonably relaxing.

The aches and pains were gone – need to drink more and stretches only

We caught up with Mark, Geoff and Marty at one of the beachsiude warungs for a few beers. Dinner was back at Gubug restaurant.
16 JULY
A pretty morning and a very crowded looking surf.
Eventually, I had a surf a Occasionals. This a right hander which breaks a little on the fickle side. It wasn't that good so I paddled over to the crowded left. I had a few waves and came in.
We packed a small bag and Nyoman arrived to take us to Legian.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CENTRAL COAST - 4 TO 11 MARCH 2023

 4 MARCH I woke and unloaded and tidied the van. I drove Jacinta to the Hens party for Chloe at Glenworth Valley. Back home and I tidi...