Tuesday, August 14, 2018

INDONESIA - BALI - BALIAN - SURF, QUAKES AND LITTLE BIRDS - 12 AUGUST 2018

5 AUGUST 2018



Two hours drive later, we ( Kara, Jacinta and I) arrived at Gubug Bungalows, Balian (450 000R) from Legian, Bali.



We settled in and I had a late afternoon surf. The surf was a bit wild but it was nice to get wet and do some surfing.

While having dinner at Tekor's, there was an earthquake. The restaurant shook and the ground undulated for about a minute. It was my first definite earthquake experience. No damage done here but in Lombok it was much graver.


6 AUGUST 2018

Today, the surf was too messy to surf because of the large swell and the onshore wind.

Nic and family arrived. We met Nic last year and got along really well. So we were both happy to reconnect. Even had a man-hug.

We also met Rabbit from US of A. A nice guy and a little thought provoking which wasn't my state of mind in Indonesia. :)


7 AUGUST 2018

I caught up with Mark S. in the morning and we had a surf. It was all over the place but we had fun.





Mick the SUP rider arrived. I met him about four years ago.

8 AUGUST 2018


I had a surf in morning which was heaps of fun. Jacinta took some photos from Dekis Warung.







Nic and his family left. I'll be catching up with Nic later.

I had a late afternoon surf. It was smaller but still fun.

We met Kia and Scott from Sydney and  Colin and Nicole from Empire Bay


9 AUGUST 2018

The sun was out in full force with not a cloud in the sky.




The early surf was good but very crowded with infrequent waves.  I only caught one good wave at the beginning.

A late surf with Colin was heaps of fun. The waves were about head height with some bigger sets and there were lots of waves and only a few surfers in the water. I had some really nice lefts and a couple of rights. I finished with a fin chop to the foot.

We met Colin's and Nicole's friends -  Peter and Michelle from Umina and Peter and Simone from Blackwall. The girls own 'Candygirls' shop in Umina.

We also met Al and Jane from South Australia, a nice older couple.


10 AUGUST 2018

The surf was smaller today and it was raining in the morning. It actually rain a number of times throughout the day.

Eventually, I had a small surf on the rights on the beach. It was an okay wave and I had it to myself for over an hour.


11 AUGUST 2018

It was raining off and on in the morning. The surf looked small and a bit messy. It improved by mid morning and I paddled out for a surprisingly fun surf. There were only a few guys out and the sets were over head height.

We had lunch at Tom's garden, then coffee down the hill. After that, Jacinta and I had a walk along the beach. When we got back Kara wanted to do a walk along the river for bird-watching. Both walks were nice and we got to see a few small birds.






We met Rolf from Germany and a lovely couple and four kids from Berne, Switzerland. 


12 AUGUST 2018

A fun surf in the morning. Heaps of waves and only a few out.



We packed our bags to leave for Candidasa.





Nyoman arrived and had delivered with him Nic (from NZ) and his friend Shaun. It seemed, as usual. that he had a few problems - no money and his card wouldn't  work at the local ATM and he had to work out how to send his partner's Louise's flight ticket to Bali. Never a dull moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CENTRAL COAST - 4 TO 11 MARCH 2023

 4 MARCH I woke and unloaded and tidied the van. I drove Jacinta to the Hens party for Chloe at Glenworth Valley. Back home and I tidi...