Saturday, November 20, 2021

NORTH ROAD TRIP - LAWRENCE - 5 TO 7 NOVEMBER 2021

 5 NOVEMBER

A five-hour drive with a lot of rest stops from Hawks Nest to Lawrence to visit relatives.

We arrived in the afternoon, chatted, had a short walk and watched the sun set over the cane fields.

6 NOVEMBER

We woke to a glorious morning. 







A kayak along Woody Creek in the Everlasting Swamp National Park. I drove to the park along Wier Road. The road was very pot-holed in parts with a few pools of water. There were three cattle gates along the way but they were opened.

At the end of the road, was a parking area near a national park sign. This was where to launch the kayak but the grass was very high and looked snaky to walk through. I backtracked to entered the water just before the last gate before entering the national park. The water’s edge was soft and I sank to well above the ankles in the sticky mud as I launched.









I finally got the kayak out on the water, washed my feet and away I paddled. I glided up creek pass old abandoned piers, thick reeds and clumps of she-oak. Swamp hens would suddenly flap away from their hideaways in the reeds and trees as I approached.  There were a number of sluice gates to control water flow between the creek and the wetlands. The creek narrowed and the reeds became very thick with a height of at least two metres. The creek eventually ended at a sluice gate.

7 NOVEMBER

We left Lawrence for an inland trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CENTRAL COAST - 4 TO 11 MARCH 2023

 4 MARCH I woke and unloaded and tidied the van. I drove Jacinta to the Hens party for Chloe at Glenworth Valley. Back home and I tidi...