Sunday, September 15, 2019

TARIMBANG - SUMBA - SURF, VIRUS, BEACH - 16 TO 20 AUGUST 2019


TARIMBANG


COSTS

Marthen’s car from Waingapu to Tarimbang was 800 000R. Same price back.
The large 'luxury' room was 800 000R with three meals.


THE STAY

We stayed at Tarimbang while we waited for our flight back to Bali.

Marthen picked us up at 10 am and then we got water, fruit and cereal and drove to Tarimbang. The drive was very windy and I was feeling like crap. Eventually, we arrived at Tarimbang settled into the ‘luxury’ room, had lunch and then I had a sleep.





I woke feeling heaps better so Jacinta and I had a late afternoon walk along the beach. It was so quiet, serene and pretty.

The next morning, I walked down to the beach and paddled out for a surf. The waves were good fun with sets at head height. A boat was there with surfers but there was no hassle as they were a nice bunch of guys from Manly.



Later Jacinta and I had a walk down to the beach. We made a sun shelter with my sarong using four sticks of bamboo and using our thongs to anchor them on the top of the poles. It was very effective.  I sat in the shade while Jacinta baked.




The rest of the afternoon was relaxing but I was gradually feeling more and more sick from the virus – runny nose, headache, blocked sinuses and generally feeling like crap. This was the story for me for the rest of the time in Tarimbang. I rested a lot and spent morning/afternoon time on the beach with Jacinta. No more surfing the rest of the stay here for me.





We had a few walks around the village. Life runs at a slow pace here.



NEW ARRIVALS

Later in the afternoon two more surfers arrived. Roger from Denmark in Western Australia and Peter from Ayre Peninsula in South Australia. They were both nice guys with some good stories.
Peter had done a lot of boat travel in Indonesia over the years on his own back and later on snorkeling/surfing boat charters. He especially recommended Raja Ampat and Banda Islands for snorkeling.

Roger was an electrician who knew Lorenzo who I have met in Balian a number of times.



THE LOCALS

Petros

When Petros was eight years old, he fell from a coconut tree. His injuries resulted in  broken hip and leg. Of course this changed the direction of his life. His ongoing injury was a severe limp that made him unable to work. He was poor with little chance of making money and so he had no wealth to pay a bride price. Petros is now 65 with teeth showing the deformations of betel juice usage. He survived by learning English and providing services for tourists – coconuts, hiking in the area and general information. A lot of the information he provides is for free. A nice guy who is more than ready to share a good laugh.



Marthen

Marthen smiles and when he laughs it is more of a giggle. He is ready for a chat but put a bit of salt on the stories. Well, the stories are good but his role in them leaves out his vested interests which plays a strong role in the things he becomes involved in. He tells his stories like he was hard done by or was the village hero.

Other people have told me that he blocks any neighbours from showing touristic enterprise unless he gets a cut or it may take money from his business/es.

My thoughts – I like him, I’m open with my dealings with him but I also remain wary and double check any agreements I make with him such as cost of room, transport, etc.

Cindy

Cindy is Marthen’s wife. She will lie straight face to you. You ask her in Waingapu if the ‘luxury’ room is available and she says ‘yes’ but on arrival someone is already staying there.  Could it be a language problem, no, she is quite aware that she is lying. I really don’t know why she does that as people are going to come no matter what room is available.

She likes to collect the room rent in advance for the length of your stay. As rooms are of different prices it is best to give her the money for one or two days only.

My thoughts – I like Cindy. She will get things done if you ask and is much better to deal with by being up front.

Marthen and Cindy

Together they play the good cop, bad cop routine and they do it well! Beware brother! Beware! Ha ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CENTRAL COAST - 4 TO 11 MARCH 2023

 4 MARCH I woke and unloaded and tidied the van. I drove Jacinta to the Hens party for Chloe at Glenworth Valley. Back home and I tidi...