Saturday, March 12, 2022

TASMANIA - CRAYFISH CREEK TO WARATAH - 28 FEBRUARY 2022

 

28 FEBRUARY

CRAYFISH CREEK TO WARATAH

I woke and waited about an hour for the tide to be high enough for a kayak on CRAYFISH CREEK. The sun was contrasting with a cloudy sky as I headed down creek towards the ocean. Under the Bass Highway bridge, around a few bends and pass a flock of resting gulls and I was out in the ocean. There were very small waves breaking which added to the fun and excitement of the paddle. Turning around and up the creek I went. The gulls were still there on the way and so was the bridge 😊 the water was so clear and a light blue colour on a sandy bottom. The incoming tide made the paddle easy and soon I was in darker water. The paddle ended quickly as the creek narrowed and became impassable with large rocks which the creek flowed through and around. Back to camp I paddled.






We had breakfast and packed and were on the road firstly to Wynyard for food supplies and our stay at Waratah. Before Wynyard we were side tracked by a tourist turn off to TABLE CAPE. It was a pretty drive past rustic houses and farms. There were also some lookouts with great coastal views.





Wynyard for food supplies, coffee and thongs (the ones you wear on your feet).

Off to Waratah we go. Well along the way we had another detour to HELLYER GORGE. A good rest stop with a pleasant short walk through a rainforest and along the Hellyer River.





We arrived eventually at WARATAH. We settled into the camp area and I had a cycle around the town. There were ponds, parks, a short rough track, old hut, a waterfall (the base and top), the old waterwheel and many older pretty houses. It rained when I was at the base of the waterfall. Cameras good, me soaked.






Back at camp and after dinner, we sat by the small lake beside the camp area and watched the platypuses as the sunset. The colours were amazing!




No comments:

Post a Comment

CENTRAL COAST - 4 TO 11 MARCH 2023

 4 MARCH I woke and unloaded and tidied the van. I drove Jacinta to the Hens party for Chloe at Glenworth Valley. Back home and I tidi...