Tuesday, October 1, 2019

BALIAN, BALI - SURF, SHARK, FRIENDS - 14 TO 28 SEPTEMBER 2019


BALIAN



COSTS

Car Legian to Balian – 400 000R
Gubug Balian Bungalows – 425 000R including good breakfast.


THE ARRIVAL

Nyoman pick us up from Legian at 11am to drive us to Balian. The journey took about 2 hours and I slept most of the way.

We settled into our room then I was off for a surf.


THE SURF


Balian has a number of surf breaks - a beach break which is okay when it is small, an outside right and left wave, an inside left and a river mouth right. There are others around but that is hidden knowledge. Haha!

14 September
A mid day surf with head height okay waves as wind was not too strong.
A late afternoon surf which wasn’t as good as earlier.

15 September
Really fun over head height surf early morning with only a  few out.




2nd morning surf – okay but a little crowded and I was tired though the waves were good.

16 September
Head height and half waves which were heaps of fun though a little bumpy on wave face with only a few out.
2nd morning surf - Just me and the waves of double head height. There was too much water movement and way too bumpy – one wave only to come in.

17 September
An early morning surf that started off okay and got better and better. There were good outside lefts and mid lefts mainly all to myself.

18 September
An early morning surf on my own. It was a little infrequent but there were good outside rights and lefts at over head height. The inside left was good too.
A mid morning surf with good outside and inside lefts at head height.

19 September
An early morning surf on outside rights. It was a little infrequent but good. There were only a few other surfers out.



Mid afternoon surf with little wind on small and some fun lefts.

20 September
It was small and very infrequent looking waves today. I decided to have a laid day from the waves and recharge the batteries.





21 September
An early surf mainly on the outside rights, The waves were glassy and good but infrequent.
A mid morning surf with the wind blowing cross-shore a bit but it was fun on the inside lefts where the wind was lightest.

22 September
An early surf on the outside rights and inside lefts. The rights were a bit straight but still fun and it was getting bigger as the session progressed.
A mid afternoon surf at high tide on inside lefts. There were some good waves but I had to be picky as there was a lot more power in set waves and some were shutting down early.

23 September
An early surf in good size waves though it was a bit random. There were some waves.
A late afternoon surf on small inside left waves. A bit crowded for a so so wave. The session was cut short when I had a long swim after my leg rope snapped.

24 September
An early surf in head height glassy waves on the outside lefts. The crowd was already crowded but it was my lucky day and I seemed to be in the right spot at the right time so I had a fun time.
.A late morning surf. The waves were a bit weak and small but it was fun.
A late afternoon surf with Wal. It was small and a little windblown but there was some okay waves.

25 September
No surfing today. It was small and it was great to have a break.

26 September
No surf as too small.

27 September
Early fun surf. Heaps of waves were that were so glassy on the outside rights and lefts.





The 2nd morning surf was a bit bumpy with heaps of waves and fun on the outside and inside lefts.

28 September
A mid morning surf for about an hour. The wind was cross shore but the waves were still fun and the crowd was small. Nice for last surf.


THE MASSAGES

I had a number of massages at Ayu’s massage. All good and relaxing and soft – 100 000R. Bella’s massage was too hard for me.


THE SHARK

One morning, I was sitting way outside by myself waiting for the set waves. The ocean was smooth and glassy. Suddenly and 10 metres to my left and further out to sea, a 2 ½ metre shark breeched out of the water. The shark spun about 3 times horizontally and parallel to the water surface. In its jaw it had a large fish. The shark landed with a loud thumb on the water surface then disappeared. I wasn’t particularly worried maybe because the shark already had a meal and I didn’t feel it was interested in me. I continued surfing and didn’t see the shark again though there was a lot of continuous water movement caused by fish.

THE ACCIDENT

 Jacinta and I were having breakfast when below us and walking along the road were three guys. One guy was holding the side of his face and the other guy was carrying two surfboards. The guy holding his face was Steve from New Zealand. I met them at the entrance of the hotel to check if he was alright. He wasn’t alright. He had a large cut in his cheek and a small one above his right eye. His surfboard had flicked back at him when he fell off a wave and the fin cut through his cheek and the other fin cut him above the eye. Both cuts were deep.

The guys helping him weren’t too sure what to do. I sort of took over as Steve was going into shock from the injuries. I sent him to his room with one of the guys to get out of his wet gear and put warm clothes on. I went to reception and organised Wayan to get a bike and one of the staff to take him to the clinic in the village as he needed medical attention.

Back at his room, I checked told him what was happening and checked that he had money and his phone on him. I walked him up to the reception where Wayan had the motorbike and staff ready to take him. His friend had gotten out of the water so he went to change his clothes while I organised another motorbike.

After breakfast, I had a surf. When I got back, Steve was at the pool. He had six stitches on the cheek and two above the eye. He was all good but no surfing for two weeks.


THE HIKE


Jacinta and I walked into the village to the supermarket. Jacinta needed to buy a few things and I continued onwards for a hike.

I walked to Jalan Mejan and followed the road to Mejan Beach. The houses along the edge of the road had bougainvilleas spilling over the walls in a festoon of bright colours. Further along there were rice fields bright green shallow cover of water. Just before the beach there was a small temple perched a little back from the cliff edge.




On the black sand beach, I walked to the edge of the point and after removing my shoes I waded around the point in waist high water with small waves to the another smaller beach.



I strolled along the beach to a small waterfall on the further end of the beach. I sat down on the rocks to put my shoes back on and surprised a large monitor lizard which promptly ran up the cliff face.
I followed the lizard’s trail and climbed the cliff. Near the top, There was a large hole in the cliff face. I descended into the darkness of the hole and emerged inside a large cave. The cave was about five metres wide, 4 metre high and about 20 metres long. I walked over the rocks in the semidarkness to the ocean side of the cave entrance.




To the east of the entrance was a small arch under the next headland. I walked carefully over the wet and slippery rocks to a close proximity of the arch. There was only a four metre water filled distance from the edge of the rock to the beach on the other side of the arch. Unfortunately, the tide was still high and the water was deep with set waves running strongly into the arch. I didn’t want to backtrack so into the water I jumped and swam trough the arch. It felt a bit nervy and I was soaked but I got through.




I walked across the beach to another cave on the next headland. This cave was full of bats. There were two exits on the other side – one large and one small. To get to the large exit, I would have had to scramble over the rocks and too close for comfort to the swirling bats. I took the lower way to the smaller exit. I had to crawl over the sand and under the bats that were flying about a metre over me. The small entrance was clogged by sand and the aperture was only a half metre in height. I crawled tightly through it. On the other side there were two pairs of feet. Two young girls were standing there and nearly jumped with fright when i said hello from halfway through the exit.

I must have looked a sight being soaking wet and covered with sand. We had a short chat and they decided to try going the way I came.

I walked along the beach and up the stairs into Mina Gajah Resort and followed the path to the road and continued back to my hotel.

A great hike with heaps of fun and surprises.


UP IN THE MOUNTAINS

I told Wal and Desty about a pretty place towards the mountains with rice fields and warungs. We decided to go there in Wal’s car. I had an idea where the warungs were but we missed the turn off and after about 3 hours of back and forth driving with gave up and headed back to Balian.

The scenery was pretty, we laughed along about our adventure and drove for so long that we were only ½ hour from Lovina in the north of Bali.


THE PEOPLE

Simon and Mark from South Africa – touring Bali in car. Nice guys who joined us for dinner and spoke of their travels in South Africa and Mozambique.
Jenelle from Maroubra - A pleasant sun worshipper that was touring around Bali.
Steveand friends  from New Zealand, Auckland, Steve had the surfboard fin in the face.
Jeff. Mark and Marty – long time friends living in Balian. We had chats , dinner and surfs together.
Shaun – I have met him a few times. He showed me great surf photos of east coast of Bali in the dry season.
Cameron – lives Bali, wife Indonesian, has a place in Sumbawa, chatted over coffee.
Wayan - who works at Ayu’s - not married yet – needs girl first.
Jason and Layla from Sanur – Jason shapes surfboards, has done a lot of surf travelling, knows Rodney. Layla from Jogjakarta is Indonesian with some Arabic blood. A nice couple . We had dinner together  at Tekor
Greg – from Margaret River - met in Balian previously.
Lozza – met a number of times.
Bryan and Maureen – known for a long time. I had a lot of surfs with Bryan.
Wal and Desty – known them for ages, Always good to catch-up, chat, eat, surf and laugh.




No comments:

Post a Comment

CENTRAL COAST - 4 TO 11 MARCH 2023

 4 MARCH I woke and unloaded and tidied the van. I drove Jacinta to the Hens party for Chloe at Glenworth Valley. Back home and I tidi...