Wednesday, August 22, 2018

INDONESIA - BALI - BALIAN - SURF, PEOPLE, SURF - 24 AUGUST 2018

17 AUGUST 2018

Indonesian Independence day today. HIID. :)

Nyoman picked us up at 11am for our drive to Balian. We stopped along the ay for donuts and the apotek (chemist).



We arrived at Gubug Bungalows, Balian, checked in, had a bite to eaat and then I was in the water for a surf.



The waves were good with nice walls, good size and a few surfers out.




Later me had coffee, dinner and I fell asleep very early.

We met Dan (from last year) and his friend Chad and Lea.

Also met Andy and Mick and caught up with Al and Jane from SA.

18 AUGUST 2018

Up for an early surf. . A fun surf in the morning that was better than it looked. A little bumpy but still some size and some fun waves were to be had

Paddling out to the waves, I met Neil who was a friend of Nic and Cliff (NZers).

Back in for breakfast then out again. The second surf wasn't as defined. I had a few okay waves. Still. it was fun.

My shoulder was getting sore so it was time to strap it up again. 

Lunch at Tom's. 

The wind increased onshore in the afternoon so no surf playtime.

It rained off and on throughout the day. The sun made a brief on/off appearance in the late afternoon.

We had a beer overlooking the beach, then wandered down the beach for the sunset. Most afternoons have been cloudy so a regular event was a rare event this year.




A tasty dinner at Tekor and back to the ranch.

19 AUGUST 2018

Early surf on the outside lefts and rights after watching the sunrise. Only a few other surfers. Heaps of waves.

Back in for breakfast then back out. The rights starting getting better and better and then, bam, they stopped.

Back in for lunch at Dekis and down the road coffee.

The afternoon was spent around the pool and I wandered next door for a chat with Givan.



We had sunset drinks at Harmony Warung and met Lis and Stewart who live in Balian and Stewart and Natalie from the Sunshine Coast, Qld. We met up for dinner with Stewart and Natalie at Tom's Cafe. A fun chatted night.

20 AUGUST 2018

I took videos of the morning surf and had breakfast with Jacinta. After breakfast, I had a surf.



Nice rights from out the back and some lefts. I took a big right on the edge, wobbled everywhere and then got hammered by the next lot of sets and just got out the back and was caught by the second lot of sets. I walloped my knee sometime during this pounding and decided to end the session.

Back at the hotel, we met Mandy, who I met in Sri Lanka in the early 80's. We had a nice catch-up chat. She told me that Mark, her partner was recovering from a scorpion sting! Earlier in the year, he was bitten by a snake!

I had a massage with Ayu which was okay then Jacinta and I had a sushi lunch.

I spent the afternoon resting my injuries.

Jacinta woke me from an afternoon nap. Wal and Desty were here. We sat in the cabana and drank beers and chatted and then off to dinner at Tekor.



21 AUGUST 2018

I woke to a small surf and a fast increasing crowd in the surf. I decided to wait and see what later provides.



Wal and Desty Headed off for a Java trip and Nic and Louise arrived from Medewie.


I had a late surf with some okay waves but a little crumbly at times.

Jacinta and I had late afternoon beers watching the sunset.




Nic, Louise, Jacinta and I had a chatty dinner at Tekor. At dinner, we met up with Phil and Joe (from Sydney), who I met briefly earlier in the trip.


22 AUGUST 2018

A pretty sunrise and a very small surf this morning. Time for a layday from the surf.



Long-haired Mick from Victoria headed off today to Nusa Lembongan.

Nic and Louise moved into Gubug Bungalows.

Jacinta and I spent the day chatting, sitting around the pool and eating.

Later, we had sunset beers and dinner at Pitaya.


23 AUGUST 2018

I woke to bigger waves. Yahoo. Paddled out for a fun session of  lefts and rights on the outside peak. A little crowded but heaps of waves. Back in for breakfast and back out again for another fun surf of lefts and rights with a smaller crowd.



Rest time around the pool. Met Mel from Newcastle. We repaired a big sea ulcer on Nic's knee using plastic skin. Then we cut the toe section of a pair of socks so that he could cover his knee to stop it scraping on his board. Nic being versatile used the end of the socks as a fashion accessory and to warm his ears.



We walked to Secret Bay for dinner. Yummy grilled whole fish.




25 AUGUST 2018

Last day in Balian.




I woke to bigger waves but it was looking a bit all over the place. I andered the beach to take some photos then eventually had a surf. i paddled out with low expectations but ended up having one of my best waves so far on the trip and lots of other fun waves.




Back in for breakfast and I was tired. We packed, said our goodbyes and Nyoman arrived to take us to Ubud (450 000R).

No comments:

Post a Comment

CENTRAL COAST - 4 TO 11 MARCH 2023

 4 MARCH I woke and unloaded and tidied the van. I drove Jacinta to the Hens party for Chloe at Glenworth Valley. Back home and I tidi...